Transfer a Patient
WVU Medical Command (MedCom) at J.W. Ruby Memorial Hospital serves as a regional coordination and communication center for all pre-hospital emergency care, including aircraft, such as the HealthNet helicopter, which brings patients to a rooftop helipad. WVU MedCom provides pre-hospital teaching; guidance of emergency medical technicians, paramedics, and flight teams; collaboration with surgical subspecialists; and co-management of cases with the surgical intensive care unit.
WVU MedCom is one of five regional medical command centers, all of which are part of the statewide West Virginia Medical Command System. Each center is staffed 24/7 by paramedics with years of clinical experience. All EMS units transporting patients to an emergency department contact their respective Medical Command Center and provide a patient report. This report is relayed to the receiving facility’s Emergency Department.
The Medical Command System also maintains lines for the West Virginia Perinatal Partnership, arranging transfers of neonates and/or mothers in need of a tertiary care center.
View the West Virginia Medical Command System map.
Useful phone numbers:
- Medical Access Referral System: 1-800-982-6277
- WVU Hospitals Medical Command: 1-866-244-5027
- HealthNet/HealthTeam dispatch line: 1-800-255-2146
- Requests/consults for Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), and Pediatrics: 1-855-WVU-KIDS
- Maternal care requests/consults: 1-844-WVU-MOMS